We have found that there is a compatibility problem with .asta files created by Astah with Java 1.6.0_26 and others created by Astah with Java 1.6.0_25 or earlier only if the .asta contains diagrams with any images which were added by [Image] menu.
If you updated to Java1.6.0_26 already
– An error occurs when you try to open .asta* or XMI which was created/exported by Astah with Java 1.6.0_25 or earlier
*This includes two of our pre-installed files, Sample.asta and SoftwareProcess.asta (Mind Map template)
– Download the Java 1.6.0_25 or earlier and run Astah with it. (Refer to our FAQ: “How to use a specific version of Java VM“.) If you are a Windows user, downloading our JRE-bundled installer might be easier.
If you have NOT updated to Java 1.6.0_26 yet but cannot open .asta file or XMI that someone else created or you created with another Astah,
the file may contain images on diagrams and may have been created/exported by Astah with Java 1.6.0_26.
– Ask the person who made this .asta to delete the images from diagrams (So you will be able to open this .asta)
– Ask the person who made this .asta to downgrade Java to 1.6.0_25 or earlier then relocate the image and save the file
– If it is clear that the file was created by Astah with Java 1.6.0_26, upgrade your environment to Java 1.6.0_26 (only if you are sure that you will have no plan on loading other .asta files contain diagrams with images)
Again, this applies for .asta which contain diagrams with images on only. So you should be able to open .asta no matter your Java version without any problems if there are no images on diagrams in the .asta.
If you have any questions regarding this issue or need any assistance, please contact us. We apologize for any inconveniences and are trying our best to release the bug-fix soon which will cover this issue.
You can also find this information and other bug information on Astah Community Site “Bug Information Forum”.
Astah Developer Team