I recently had an online meeting with one of our customers in Germany.
They are creating various process models for their many clients using UML Activity diagrams with Astah. However, some of their clients are actually more familiar with BPMN (Business Process Model and Notation). So they wanted us to support BPMN in Astah.
Currently we do not have a plan to support BPMN (It may change in the future), but by using a trick, you can add a BPMN look and feel to Activity diagram.
Trick is using a Stereotype Icon!
Astah Professional edition offers “Stereotype Icon” feature which enables you to change the presentation of Classes or Actions into any icon you upload. Here’s an example:
- Go to [Tools] – [Project] – [Set Icon for Stereotype].
- Upload an image file and associated it with a specific stereotype.
- Right-click the model with the stereotype and choose [Icon Notation] – [Customized Icon].
- Then the action will turn into an icon.
- Make your own stereotype profile as many as you need.